TVHC’s Youth Health Services Department provides free and low-cost care to students on-campus at several school sites in Central and Southern Alameda County. We have full-service school health centers at James Logan High School in Union City and Tennyson High School in Hayward. These health centers are a low-cost, safe and convenient place for any student to receive the medical and mental health care they need to succeed in school and become productive members of their community. A student who is tired, sick, suffering from asthma, stressed, depressed or scared often experiences academic performance issues as a result and an increased risk of dropping out of school.
Much like our main community-based health centers, our school health centers advocate holistic health care, paying careful attention to the dynamic relationship between mind, body, and spirit. Our primary objective is to make important health and wellness information more readily accessible to youth and provide an effective tool for them to take control of their own well-being.
Some of the services and programs that we provide at our school sites include:
- Diagnosis and treatment of minor illnesses and injuries
- Management of chronic illnesses
- Reproductive health services
- Family planning
- STI (sexually transmitted infections) testing & counseling
- HIV prevention, counseling, rapid testing
- Nutrition and fitness programs
- Vision, hearing, and oral health screenings
- Behavioral/Mental Health Services
- Sports Physicals
- Specialty referrals
- After school programs, peer education and peer navigator programs, and parent engagement groups.
The school health centers are open to any student in Alameda County. For more information, please email us using the Contact Us form or call Maricela Gutierrez, Youth Health Services Director, at (510) 471-5880 ext. 3758